September 17, 2009

Over The Summer

Over the summer of 2009, I spent 160 hours volunteering at Owensboro Medical Health System. Each day I volunteered, I worked in the Emergency Department and one other place. That place could be cafeteria, kitchen, sterile proccessing, or one of many nursing units. I was given a huge responsibility and I had to sho I could be trusted with it. I learned wonderful people skills. I would "mingle" with patients, families, and visitors trying to find their way around.

At each area I worked, I was required to work side-by-side woth many others. At first I was intimidated by the doctors and nurses rushing around. But I soon became well-adjusted to these new conditions. My goal throughout the summer was to better my "people skills" and better the health of the community with whatever I could do.

I am now not as shy around new people as much as I used to be. And each patient I left had a smile on their face bigger than the one I saw when I first showed up.

While volunteering I earned the Service Award and Teamwork Award. The service was awarded because no matter where I went or how much I disliked a job, I would go and try my best. I would try my hardest at all jobd, no matter what the case was. The teamwork was awarded to me because each day I had been paired with someone new, and I was required to train them. At the beginning I had been told I would have the same person each day. But even though this had happened, I made the best of it and I gained so many friendships out of it.


I have a small sample of the hours and signatures of my advisors in my notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment